Being emotional is a part of life.
And even though emotions are a natural part of being human they sometimes get in the way of having a healthy and happy existence.
Have you ever been told you have anger issues?
Or, maybe you’re too thin skinned?
If you’ve heard these, or other similar comments, multiple times over the years form multiple people, you might benefit from discussing the matter with a professional counselor.
Why Am I So Emotional?
There are many reasons that contribute to excessive emotional reactions.
Some individuals are born with an increased emotional sensitivity and continue to carry that throughout their adult life. Some individuals never develop appropriate coping skills.
Managing emotions is not an innate skill. It comes with education, practice, and time. And even with a normal level of coping skills you can still become completely overwhelmed.
When It’s Time to Seek Therapy
Reasons to seek out therapy include:
● Extreme emotional reactions are creating issues within your relationships or at work.
● You have difficulty effectively communicating how you’re feeling
● You struggle to “bounce back” from an unpleasant or difficult scenarios
● You feel that you have no control or even that ‘you’re going crazy’
● You experience frequent or increasing mood swings
It’s Possible to Gain Control Overs Your Emotions
If you find yourself struggling with your emotions, please consider reaching out. I am trained and experienced in helping individuals just like you.
Dr. Wayne Bullock is a Washington D.C. area therapist specializing in the needs of gay men, the LGBTQ community, and those dealing with anxiety, depression, and trauma.